Last Saturday night we had returned home from Ann and John's Anniversary dinner to find a message on our machine from the stake executive secretary. We figured it was too late to call him back, being 11:30pm so we'd have to wait until Sunday. Sunday morning came all too early and we were awakened by the phone ringing. Brother Jagoda asked if we could meet President Papa in 45 minutes up at the church. We, more like ME, scrambled to get ready and called Ann to come over and watch the boys so we could go meet with the President. As we traveled our short distance of 2 minutes to church we contemplated on the call that Justin would receive, seminary, stake ym, etc....When we arrived it was only President Stewart, a counselor in the stake presidency we felt calmer than perhaps how we'd felt all morning. Then he spoke..."President Papa will be here shortly, please have a seat". Oh my, my heart began to pound and I had a feeling about what was about to transpire. Toward the end of our interview President Papa leaned in toward Justin and I and the next thing I remember hearing was BISHOP. I thought in my head (but it was as clear on my face as if I had said it out loud), what about Bishop Sannar? (who was currently our bishop). President Papa looked at me and said Bishop of the Gridley 3rd Ward.
I knew when I married the guy he would one day be called as Bishop, but I didn't realize just how soon that would be. If you take out about 1/3 of the time of sacrament for passing the sacrament with the Young Men from the 5 years we've been married, I have been able to sit by my sweetheart a total of 3 years and 4 months approximately.
The hardest thing about this call is that I am having to be released from my calling as the Young Women's President. Both Justin and I have been able to serve in the Young Men and Young Women's for the past 5 years and it's been amazing! I've learned and grown so much. This past week was the hardest because we could share this information with anyone but our family to invite them to our meetings today for his sustaining.
We were asked to share some thoughts, which I had thought might happen, but was never clear on what I should say. I am the youngest married (if not single as well) in our ward which has been hard for me to swallow.
Father in Heaven had faith in us that we have yet to see. We look forward to serving, growing in our faith and learning new talents while strengthening ones we already have.
What a crazy week this has been....and it's about to get a little more crazy.
life day by day :: july
14 years ago
7 comments:
Bishop Tolman...I guess you can add that to the "About Us" part of your blog. I am not so sure congratulations are in order since this is a calling you undoubtedly were not seeking but I am sure you will be a great bishop just as you are a great friend.
Much growth will come to you both and you will love those that you serve more then you thought you ever could!! You are both such great examples and the youth already love you and watch the things that you do:)
This will be such a wonderful opportunity! I miss you and your family and can't wait to see you again!
That's great! He will be such a great bishop, and you will be an adorable bishops wife.
WOW, that is awesome! Lots of serious blessings are in store for you guys.
You are so amazing Libby and have such an impact on people. I love that you are the "Bishops wife" so perfect for you!
Congrats Justin!!
I agree that it comes as no surprise, but I don't think anybody can be prepared for that moment. Thank goodness you have a friend close by to come and watch the kids. I know when Heather and I were both in presidencies with the youth it was a lot of fun. I'm sure you've helped out a lot of the girls, and you can take those memories with you into whatever calling you may find yourself in. Justin, how exciting to be the president of the Aaronic Priesthood! Those boys are sure blessed to have you now be their bishop.
Good luck with that calling. Young Men is the best calling in the church, so that's a tough one to leave. I'm sure y'all will do a great job.
Great blog.
Ezra
Post a Comment